Senior Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure (AWS)
At Vero, we help customer-focused teams use real-time data to send high quality email messages.
We enable engineers and marketers to work together to track, store and organise their data and workflows to power more useful email campaigns. We've tracked over six billion actions for more than five hundred million end-users and we're growing quickly.
We have helped businesses interact with over 500 million unique end-users and process billions of events and user data updates each month. Vero continues to grow and this in turn provides a constant need to ensure we are building a scalable, fault-tolerant application.
About the role
You will be working closely with Vero's Head of Engineering and other Senior Engineers who are responsible for Vero's high-volume cloud infrastructure. Our focus is on resiliency, high availability, and performance of our applications and backend systems.
We use AWS extensively, as to many of our customers. We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer with specific exposure across an array of AWS deployments and projects who can help ensure we're improving on core elements of our infrastructure as technology and customer needs change, and as we build out new features and products.
This role is crucial to the continued, long-term success of Vero.
This role will be based in Sydney at our HQ in Surry Hills.
- Think ahead and build for the future as opposed to band-aid fixes for today. We need to balance the “getting things done” part of a startup with long-term future-proofing of Vero's infrastructure.
- Work with the engineering leadership team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team, particularly with regard to code quality and DevOps.
- Help deliver engineering projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to ensure Vero's overall reliability, performance, security, and stability.
- Taking a customer-focused approach to technical work.
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code.
We're looking for someone to join our team who can ensure we build architecture for the long-term. You need to have a strong problem-solving ability and the aptitude to consider the big picture when solving engineering challenges. We strive for elegant solutions that are as simple yet as effective as possible. Scalability and resilience are the key aspects of this role.
We expect that you'll have an interest in and respect for both the latest technologies available on cloud providers, as well as traditional technologies such as PostgreSQL. We have found that often tools and frameworks tried-and-tested over decades provide the most elegant solutions.
Three key values lived at Vero are:
- Humility. We listen and learn. We aim for as little politics and ego as possible at Vero.
- Empathy. We're a remote team with people from all over the world. We believe in inclusivity and work hard to understand and support each other.
- Care. People at Vero look out for each other. We work together to achieve tasks, and we back each other up.
We're proud of our culture and if these values sound on point to you, we'd love to hear from you!
- Experience working with large-scale cloud-based environments. We're looking for someone with AWS exposure but commensurate exposure and experience on Azure and Google Cloud Platform are also serious candidates.
- Highly technical background with previous experience in software development domains.
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and, optionally, NoSQL databases (e.g. Cassandra).
- Experience delivering projects at scale, and making sound engineering choices to set us up for future growth and success.
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude.
- Alongside cloud experience, a strong fundamental understanding of distributed systems, high availability, and backend components such as databases, web protocols, and networking is key to success in this role.
- Coding/scripting knowledge in Bash, Ruby and Java or a C-based language.
- BSc/BA in Computer Science or a related degree.
- Experience using system monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic) and automated testing frameworks.
- Ability to work independently
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible work. Work in the way that produces the best results. Many of our team members work from home one day a week, others come to the office every day and many are completely remote. We’re committed to helping you feel like you can be the happiest and most productive you and always look for the best person to fill a role, regardless of where and how they work.
- Team Retreat. We host an annual team retreat (last year we went to Bali) to get together as a team, challenge the status-quo and explore new parts of the world.
- Parental Leave. We offer a generous parental leave policy.
- Visa Application. We cover visa application and processing fees to sponsor team members in relocating to Sydney, Australia.
- You can learn more about life at Vero on our website.